The Colorado Chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (“MADD”) presented awards to several individual law enforcement officers and teams of law enforcement agents for making a positive impact on multiple communities in the state of Colorado.
The awards ceremony took place on September 12, 2012, and it was made possible by several organizations, including MADD, The Colorado Department of Transportation and Encana Natural Gas. The event’s main sponsor was the law firm of Bachus & Schanker. One of the unique aspects of the awards dinner ceremony was that MADD’s youth volunteers presented the honors to each recipient.
MADD determined the winners of the 2012 MADD Colorado Law Enforcement Recognition Dinner and Awards Ceremony by evaluating individual law enforcement agents and agencies. They ultimately honored those that were the most committed to removing impaired drivers from Colorado roadways over the past year. There were close to 200 in attendance at the ceremony. The group included several members of the MADD organization – including adults and youth, individuals representing community partners, the winners of the awards, and several other law enforcement agents from around the state of Colorado.
In total, 17 awards were presented to the following officers and/or law enforcement agencies:
- Outstanding Dedication to Occupant Protection – Agent Charles Vogel, Lakewood Police Department
- Outstanding Dedication to Minor in Possession /Minor in Consumption Enforcement – Officer Josh Larson, Vail Police Department
- Outstanding Military Dedication to Underage Drinking and Impaired Driving Prevention – Officer Paul Engebretson, Fort Carson Police Patrol Branch
- Outstanding Dedication to School Outreach – Trooper Lance Sanchez, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Small Agency) – Officer Matt Jamison, Avon Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Medium Agency) – Officer Talon Darling, Wheat Ridge Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Large Agency) – Officer Theodore Young, Denver Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Colorado State Patrol) – Trooper Lucas Johnson, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Small Agency) – Auraria Police DUI Team
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Large Agency) – Gore Range DUI Task Force (Avon Police Department, Colorado State Patrol, Eagle Police Department, Eagle County Sheriff Office, Minturn Police Department, and Vail Police Department,)
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Colorado State Patrol) – Troop 5B (Alamosa), Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Drug Recognition Expert – Trooper Rodney Noga, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Victim Advocate – Ms. Ann VanWagner, 1st Judicial District
- Outstanding Prosecutor – Deputy District Attorney Andrew Hall, 3rd Judicial District
- MADD Hero Award – Officer Brian Hunziker, Greeley Police Department
- Dr. Robert E Weltzer Outstanding Dedication to Traffic Safety and DUI Enforcement – Ms. Emily Tompkins, Former MADD Colorado State Executive Director
- Col. Mark V. Trostel Law Enforcement Officer of the Year Award – Officer Mark Ashby, Thornton Police Department
Mothers Against Drunk Driving is a non-profit organization that strives “To aid the victims of crimes performed by individuals driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, to aid the families of such victims and to increase public awareness of the problem of drinking and drugged driving.”